Your potential impact on energy models for the European energy transition — online survey now available

Dear potential survey participant,

My name is Hannes Gaschnig, and I co-lead the stakeholder engagement in the SENTINEL project. I am writing to you today to motivate you to take part in our online survey on the user needs of energy models for the European Energy Transition. You can find the online questionnaire here .

If we are to achieve the objectives of the Paris Agreement and the European Green Deal, we must develop a net-zero emissions energy system soon. Therefore, we need to explore potential energy futures and opportunities to transform the existing energy system. For a better understanding of the options, a new set of energy modelling tools needs to be developed, which must be informed by the diverse needs of decision-makers in the energy field.

The survey aims at energy modellers as well as decision-makers from business, politics, and civil society. It will enable us to understand your needs for energy models better, supporting decision-making for the European Energy Transition. We will use these insights to improve existing models and inform the development of open-source and open-data modelling platforms, which are currently being developed by interdisciplinary consortia funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation program.

Thus, this survey is part of the SENTINEL project and was developed in collaboration with its sister project, openENTRANCE. The survey will be online until the 24th of July, and completing it will take you around 20-30 minutes .

We would highly appreciate your participation in our survey and your support of our research. Please share it within your network and partners, if you think it is of value to them. We apologize for the potential cross-posting.

If you have any comments, please let me know in the thread chat or contact me directly via email (see below).

Kind regards on behalf of SENTINEL and openENTRANCE
Hannes Gaschnig

Research Associate
Energy Transition Dynamics
Institute for Advanced Sustainability Studies e.V. (IASS)
hannes.gaschnig@iass-potsdam.de
Berliner Straße 130
14467 Potsdam
Germany

1 Like

Dear all,

We have received about 80 completed questionnaires so far. Thanks to all of you who have participated. We are still looking for further replies (find the survey HERE) and therefore have prolonged our deadline to the 31st of August. Your answers are highly valuable, as SENTINEL strives for being build around the user needs of energy models of the European Energy transition!

So far, we have received many responses from the scientific community. Thus, we are still eager for the opinions of policy-makers, NGOs/civil society, and the energy industry (incl. grid operators). In case, you have direct contact with someone working in these fields, we would highly appreciate your support here. Please forward the link to these people.

I hope we can one day help you with a similar request.

Best,
Hannes