Tutorials before the workshop, 11 October 2017

Hello everyone,

I am still looking for your support with the tutorials. I got a 75% confirmation from Tim (thanks!), are there any other volunteers, please?
Just let me know if you would like to teach a specific topic. You can simply answer to this thread and mention the topic you would like to teach.

Thank you!

Kind regards,
Kais

Hello Kais. I drafted out a carpentry tutorial for Frankfurt but it was unfortunately declined. It was titled:

Object-oriented energy system modeling with OOD and UML
OOD = object-oriented design / UML = unified modeling language

I thought it might be useful to talk about a high-level software development modeling language in this context, particularly as I suspect many struggle with object-oriented design. If anyone needs more detail, I can provide an outline for the slides. Just a suggestion though — it may or may not fit with your program. Robbie.

Hi Robbie,

I personally have not thought about the basis on which tutorials are accepted or declined. I guess it will depend on how many tutors there are. If the number of tutorials exceeds the allocated time slots, then we’ll probable proceed to a vote here.
Why was it declined last time?
Is there anyone to help you prepare that tutorial?

Kais

Hi Kais. I think the UML session was declined because the organizers wanted to concentrate on hands-on topics (like Jupyter notebooks). Regarding assistance, I would need to ask around. Possibly one of the python project members might be interested. Robbie

I created and hold the openGIS tutorial last time. I can repeat it easily or focus on another topic of GIS.

I also suggest a session about the OEP/OEDB-API that is now available.

@stefan.pfenninger and I would be willing to do another visualisation tutorial. I don’t know what the feedback was from the Frankfurt tutorials, but it would be good to publish that, if it exists (@timtroendle?) so we can decide on any edits to make.

@brynpickering I liked the visualisation tutorial, and I think it is interactive and doable in the time frame, so I would vote for it again!
@ludwig.huelk can you shorten the tutorial of last time? maybe focus more on GIS and less on databases? you can also offer a simple GIS tutorial in the “basic” session, and one on GIS+databases on the advanced session.

Definitely, it must be shortened. I was thinking about an introduction to commonly used GIS functions.

@kais_siala can you collect the suggestions in the first post?

@ludwig.huelk is it a suggestion for a hands-on tutorial, or for a 30-minute talk?
I am creating a sheet to summarize the suggestions. I will share it asap.

Hello everyone! I would like to give a tutorial about oemof using hands-on examples (jupyter notebooks) of different energy systems and problems. As far as I know last year there had been a presentation about oemof but no tutorial.

Hi everyone,

here is a summary of the propositions that I have received so far. Please edit the orange cells, and add more tutorials / topics for the 30 minutes talks. We’ll decide later which ones to keep (goal: broad overview, diversity of topics).

@stefan.pfenninger, @c-moeller, @brynpickering, @ludwig.huelk, @robbie.morrison, @timtroendle: please check the table :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Kais

Given only 4 model tutorials can fit into the afternoon, they should probably be distinct from those given in Frankfurt. They were:

• PyPSA
  • Calliope
  • OSeMOSYS
  • Open Energy Modelling Framework - oemof

Based on your current list, that gives preference to urbs and rivus.

For the other tutorials, if we have more than two rooms then we could run some of the advanced topics in parallel. Although we might like to repeat some Frankfurt sessions, those who’ve previously attended are likely to prefer attending a session on a new topic!

@brynpickering Sorry for keeping the evaluation results a secret, had it on my list for quite a while and finally managed to process it. Raw data and plots for all the questions is available here: https://gist.github.com/timtroendle/22db9bc4184ccda03cd46a52f70cbfe6

@kais_siala I will let you know during this week whether I will attend the workshop or not.

Great and helpful feedback!

@timtroendle can you share this by email with all the tutors and helpers from the Frankfurt workshop? Or maybe even with the full openmod list so people can see how successful the tutorials were?

@tom_brown Good idea, I’ve sent an email to all instructors and helpers, including you. I thought at one point we could write a blog post / wiki page / forum entry or whatever to everyone talking about the experiences in the tutorials so far. Maybe after the second or third iteration? (I envision the title to be “Quo vadis tutorial day?” ;-))

@kais_siala Unfortunately I won’t be in Munich for the next workshop. I hope that’s not an issue for the tutorial session. As I said already before, if I can help in the preparation of the tutorials let me know.

That’s unfortunate! Thank you anyway for offering to help!

Hi everyone,

I compiled the suggestions I have got so far to create this tentative plan, I would like to know if you agree with it:

Stream 1: General Scientific Computing
09:30 - 10:00 Welcome, Intro, Setup
10:00 - 12:00 Programming in Python (any volunteers? @m.dorfner? )
12:00 - 13:00 Lunch Break
13:00 - 14:30 Version Control with Git (any volunteers)
14:30 - 16:00 Open-Source GIS using QGIS (@ludwig.huelk?)

Stream 2: Advanced Topics
09:30 - 10:00 Welcome, Intro, Setup
10:00 - 12:00 OpenEnergyPlatform and OpenEnergyDatabase (@ludwig.huelk?)
12:00 - 13:00 Lunch Break
13:00 - 14:30 Visualising data in Python (@brynpickering, @stefan.pfenninger?)
14:30 - 16:00 Object-oriented energy system modeling with OOD and UML (@robbie.morrison)

Energy Model Intro Stream
16:30 - 17:00 urbs
17:00 - 17:30 rivus
17:30 - 18:00 oemof (@c-moeller?)
18:00 - 18:30 Calliope (@brynpickering)

@c-moeller: if you prefer a hands-on session, we can organise one in parallel with one of the tutorials, and shorten the last Energy Model Intro Stream.

Cheers,
Kais

1 Like

Hi, I am sorry, but I cannot do the git-tutorial. Thanks for organizing this!
frauke

@kais_siala I would prefer doing a hands-on tutorial in parallel to the 13:00 topics. If you could organize a room for this, this would be great! We could also have another stream in parallel called for example “Hands-on modeling” so that other models could be included, too. Also I’d like to keep oemof in the Energy Model Intro Stream, but it could be shorten to 15 minutes.

@kais_siala Will there be white boards (or black boards) in the seminar rooms? I imagine so.

@kais_siala My presentation on OOD and UML is confirmed. But 01:30 is quite long for me. I would be happy to split this time slot in half with another presentation, if someone else has another advanced topic they would like to cover.