Tutorial: Getting Started with PyPSA-Eur: An Open Optimisation Model of the European Power Transmission

Proposal for:
Tutorial
Session Title
Getting Started with PyPSA-Eur: An Open Optimisation Model of the European Power Transmission System
Session Description
PyPSA-Eur is an open model dataset of the European power system at the transmission network level that covers the full ENTSO-E area. It contains alternating current lines at and above 220 kV voltage level and all high voltage direct current lines, substations, an open database of conventional power plants, time series for electrical demand and variable renewable generator availability, and geographic potentials for the expansion of onshore/offshore wind and solar power at highly resolved spatial and temporal scale.

It ties in data from a variety of sources using a configurable snakemake workflow to build a PyPSA model that is suitable both for operational studies and generation, storage and transmission expansion planning studies.

This tutorial session intends to get you started with confidently using PyPSA-Eur by

• guiding through the different stages of the workflow,
  • showing various configuration options, and
  • supporting you in installing the necessary environment and building your own model with custom settings.

We will provide some installation instructions in advance of the tutorial session in this thread for the ambitious.

Would you like to be responsible for this Session?
Yes! (with Martha Frysztacki and @lisa.zeyen )
Do you need any special infrastructure for this Session?

• projector
  • eduroam/wifi
  • BYOD (bring your own device) or share with others

Do you have any recommendations who could be part of this Session?
Anyone interested in a Python-based long-term investment planning model for future energy systems with a focus on the power transmission system, detailed renewable energy profiles and based on a snakemake workflow.

@tom_brown @lisa.zeyen

4 Likes

Installation instructions for the Pypsa-Eur-Tutorial

1. Get the data from the git repository

(or if you want to install git, follow the instructions here )

• otherwise, go to the git repository and download the ZIP (click green box: Clone or download \rightarrow Download ZIP), and unzip the folder
  1. Pypsa-Eur relies on a set of other Python packages. The easiest way to install them is to use conda (an environment management system). If conda is not already installed on your system, you can install miniconda by following the installation guide

2. Open a terminal and cd to the cloned/downloaded repository pypsa-eur-tut and install the environment with

some_other_path/pypsa-eur-tut$ conda env create -f environment.yaml

1. save some already solved networks (~1GB) from pypsa-eur-tut_networks – Google Drive
    in the folder pypsa-eur-tut

Now you are ready to start with the tutorial! :smiley:

It would be convenient to install the necessary packages before the tutorial since the internet connection might not be that great.

Introductory slide deck with agenda is here:

A small comment to help with the environment installation.
In step 3, it should be :

some_other_path/pypsa-eur-tut$ conda env create -f environment_tutorial.yam

You find now the jupyter notebook from the livecoding in the git repository

Dear Fabian, you all had a very nice presentation on the PyPSA-Eur on the OpenMod Berlin.
I found the slides.
There have been camare recordings. Where can you find them?
Please let me know.
Gerhard.totschnig@ait.ac.at

Hi @GerhardTotschnig, glad you liked the tutorial. I am not sure whether this session was recorded. My guess is that it wasn’t, @robbie.morrison?

I videoed the three keynotes by Pao‑Yu Oei (TU Berlin), Till Jaeger (JBB Lawyers), and Swantje Gährs (IÖW). I am not aware of other recordings — although always possible that someone captured a workshop on a smartphone. My files should be uploaded in a week, all going well.

As there was increasing interest in PyPSA-Eur tutorials over the past few months, I have recorded a video lecture based on the tutorial at the last openmod workshop:

@GerhardTotschnig

1 Like