Tracking the Source of Allocated Energy Flows in Energy systems

Hello everyone,

I have a specific question regarding the analysis of energy flows within an energy system in OEMOF:

Is there a method or tool that allows for the identification of the source of each allocated energy flow? Specifically, for each timestep in a load demand profile, I want to determine which energy source (e.g., solar, wind, battery storage, grid) is supplying the energy. This detailed breakdown is crucial for my analysis and optimization process.

I would appreciate any guidance, references to relevant tools, or insights from your experiences.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Best regards,
Oussama ZIADI

Hi @Oussama_ZIADI,

Unfortunately, there is no ready-made solution for this. In particular, as flows can represent anything (not only energy), there is no one-fits-it-all solution. You will need to trace the relevant flows by yourself. If you want to create a visual representation, the graph plotting functionality of our model MTRESS, we implemented some sort of cheap Sankey diagram, if that helps for your reference. (Itā€™s really just debug visualisation, we added numbers to the edges of the networkx graph you can create from oemof.network.)

Cheers,
Patrik

1 Like

Thank you @pschoen for the quick reply! I appreciate your clarifications

Best regards,

Oussama ZIADI

Hello @Oussama_ZIADI, I have implemented a Sankey plotting of oemof results which I want to include to oemof.vision since a long time but havenā€™t got the time to do. A sample of the code can be found here:

In this method, self is only used for self.energy_system which you can replace by your solph.EnergySystem instance (letā€™s just call it energysystem. And the argument results is defined as results = energysystem.results["main"]

Note: this Code might need to be updated if you use the latest version of oemof, mainly this part: multi-vector-simulator/src/multi_vector_simulator/F1_plotting.py at 03bf1fa0a9819aaae275a1cad344d60682a42b2d Ā· rl-institut/multi-vector-simulator Ā· GitHub

Hi @pierre-francois.duc,

thanks for sharing. The part you mention that should be updated will probably just move from network classes (network.Bus) to solph clases (solph.buses.Bus). Do you mind if somebody picks this up and brings it to oemof.visio?

Cheers,
Patrik

Hi @pschoen - I think I have some version already somewhat updated on my fork of oemof-visio (I am Bachibouzouk on github) I created a PR with what was work in progress, you can pick it up from there,

I donā€™t mind when somebody picks it up and brings it to oemof.visio, I would also be ok to support and would also support publishing oemof.visio on pypi so that we can pip install it :slight_smile: