Taking into account component aging in energy system optimal sizing

Hello,

For my flash talk about anticipativity in Grenoble, in order to better match results from an algebraic optimization model (Linear Programming formulation) to an HOMER-style simulator-based model Microgrids.X, I had to embed the effect of component aging/degradation in the linear model. In particular, this includes battery cycling aging which implies that the component lifetime is usage-dependent.

I wonder to what extent this is done in other energy models, because my literature review in Google Scholar didn’t return something similar. Now, thanks to the workshop, I have discovered MicroGridsPy and in its Advanced features documentation there is a battery bank degradation section which seems to be based on Multi-Year Planning of a Rural Microgrid Considering Storage Degradation | IEEE Journals & Magazine | IEEE Xplore by Petrelli, Fioriti, Berizzi and Poli. This is in the same spirit of what I’ve implemented, but mine is simpler both in the positive and negative sense:

• simpler (i.e. less physical) degradation model based on energy throughput for counting battery cycles, and no effect of degradation except for the need to replace at end of life (i.e. no capacity fade over time)
  • simpler to implement because I’ve proved the convexity and derived a convex piecewise linear approximation. so no need of an external loop to determine the replacement year

So my question is: are there othe energy system optimization models taking into account usage-dependent component lifetime? and in more specifically, taking such aging into account in a convex manner?

2 Likes