Survey: Modellers' Perceptions on Narratives in Model-Based Scenarios

Dear openmod community,

While mathematical models have become indispensable in the field of energy planning and climate policymaking, the models themselves are often just as complex as the real world they are attempting to represent. Fine-tuning assumptions and creating relevant scenarios is no trivial task, and modellers have to make a number of value-based decisions in the process – but are scenario users truly aware of that?

As part of my PhD research, I am currently investigating the expectations of modellers and scenario users regarding the explanatory power of scenarios and the information asymmetry between the two groups, and I warmly invite you to participate in my survey.

Why should I participate?

I know, your time is scarce. Your perspective, however, helps to explore how interactions at the modelling-policy interface can be made more transparent and effective. In this way, we hope to contribute to increasing the impact of model-based scenarios in the global energy transition.

How will the outcomes be used?

The results of the survey will be published, and conclusions on the modelling-policy interface directly fed into ongoing research projects. Beyond that, insights gained will be shared with development cooperation and capacity-building initiatives on science-informed policymaking more broadly.

To participate in the survey, scan the QR code below or follow this link.

Thank you for your time and support. If you have further questions or remarks, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me (Franziska Bock, F.Bock@tudelft.nl).

1 Like