Open (Agent-Based) Energy Market Modelling

Hello everybody,

at the Energy-Informatics Conference 2022 in Freiburg, a few people who are researching energy markets discussed to join forces and stay in contact to exchange ideas regularly and possibly work together.

We are currently organized through a Google Group with online BBB meetings but are open for others to join who are researching Software Modelling and Simulation of Energy Markets.
Just send a PN to me.

I think it makes sense to move discussions to the OpenMod forum, as this is the place where others would look for such content.

This post is meant as an opener and announcement - something one can refer to.

2 Likes

To provide some context of the status-quo of energy market modelling and why it makes sense to work together and share experience:

Last year, I researched which open-source energy market modelling tools are available and maintained and want to share this Info.

I looked through typical lists from the openmod wiki, the OEP Factsheet and other aggregations of models like this one to cover most open-source agent-based market models.

Model Year Market Design OSS Scaled Power Flow Modularity Interoperability Market Comparison
GSY-e 2016-now LEM βœ“ βœ“ β—‹ βœ“ βœ“ β—‹
lemlab 2021-now LEM βœ“ ◐ β—‹ β—‹ ◐ β—‹
SIMONA 2021-now β—‹ βœ“ β—‹ βœ“ β—‹ ◐ β—‹
ASAM 2021-now DA, ID, RE βœ“ β—‹ ◐ β—‹ β—‹ β—‹
AMIRIS 2016-now DA βœ“ ◐ β—‹ ◐ β—‹ β—‹
USEF 2016-2017 USEF βœ“ β—‹ ◐ β—‹ β—‹ β—‹
FNCS/AMES 2008-now SCUC/SCED βœ“ ◐ ◐ βœ“ ◐ β—‹
Powermatcher 2014-2017 β—‹ ◐ βœ“ β—‹ β—‹ ◐ β—‹
PowerACE 2013-2016 DA β—‹ β—‹ β—‹ β—‹ β—‹ β—‹
Maon 2012-2021 DA β—‹ β—‹ βœ“ β—‹ β—‹ β—‹
Γ–koFlex 2014-2017 DA β—‹ β—‹ ◐ β—‹ β—‹ β—‹

An active fully commercial model is given with Plexos, as well as the officially used european market clearing mechanism EUPHEMIA

Other Models which I could not find much more Info about the current model availability is TIMES and METIS which are both unmaintained.

When looking for a way to simulate different market mechanisms and compare them to other simulation in some kind of pluggable market simulation, this functionality is not yet provided.

And no standard library exists here.

Let me know if I am missing a relevant open-source agent-based energy market model here?

1 Like

A search for β€œmarket” on the following wikipedia page will reveal some further candidates:

1 Like

I scanned the article for market. I did not copy projects twice, which were included in the text and the tables there. Here is the extract (from Open energy system models - Wikipedia ):

Energy sector models

Project Host License Access Coding Documentation Scope/type
AMIRIS German Aerospace Center Apache 2.0 GitLab Java wiki agent‑based electricity market modeling
EMMA Neon Neue EnergieΓΆkonomik CC BY-SA 3.0 download GAMS website electricity market
NEMO University of New South Wales GPLv3 git repository Python website, list Australian NEM market

DIETER is framed as a pure linear (no integer variables) cost minimization problem. In the initial formulation, the decision variables include the investment in and dispatch of generation, storage, and DSM capacities in the German wholesale and balancing electricity markets.

Planned extensions to [Dispa-SET] include support for simplified AC power flow [c] (transmission is currently treated as a transportation problem), new constraints (like cooling water supply), stochastic scenarios, and the inclusion of markets for ancillary services.[40]

EMLab-Generation is an agent-based model covering two interconnected electricity markets[…]. EMLab-Generation simulates the actions of power companies investing in generation capacity and uses this to explore the long-term effects of various energy and climate protection policies.

Power TAC stands for Power Trading Agent Competition. Power TAC is an agent-based model simulating the performance of retail markets in an increasingly prosumer- and renewable-energy-influenced electricity landscape.

Energy system models

Project Host License Access Coding Documentation Scope/type
Balmorel Denmark ISC registration GAMS manual energy markets

Programming components

Auction models

A number of electricity auction models have been written in GAMS, AMPL, MathProg, and other languages.[g] These include:

Other

Project Model type Academic publications License details Code published Comments
MultiMod large-scale equilibrium model of global energy markets not specified not yet first top-down model?
StELMOD stochastic optimization model for European electricity markets MIT to add

Maybe interesting for you, @fmaurer:

I added the two models above from Talk:Open energy system models - Wikipedia.