I’d like to crowdsource a list (or links to external lists) of innovative energy demonstration projects which either have final investment decisions (FID), are operational or decommissioned, since I’m having issues keeping up with all the announcements. Criteria: needs at least FID to avoid spamming the list with vague plans; should be at least 10 MW or 1 MtCO2/a.
This page is wiki-editable by anyone.
- George Olah plant in Iceland, commissioned 2011, 4000 tonnes of methanol per year
- Kassø, Denmark, to be commissioned 2023, 32000 tonnes of methanol per year
- FlagshipONE in Örnköldsvik, Sweden, FID in Dec 2022, ground broken May 2023, to be commissioned 2025, 50000 tonnes of methanol per year
- Puertollano project in Spain, commissioned in 2022, 20 MW electrolyser
- Skovgaard plant (REDDAP) in Denmark, to be commissioned in 2024, 10 MW electrolyzer, 5,000 tonnes of ammonia per year, will demonstrate flexible ammonia synthesis (down to 5%)
- NEOM in Saudi Arabia, to be commissioned 2026, equivalent of 215,000 tonnes of hydrogen a year.
- H2 Green Steel in Boden, Sweden, planned to start operations in 2025, final capacity in 2030 of 800 MW electrolysis
- SALCOS in Germany by Salzigitter for green steel, to be commissioned in 2025, 1.9 Mt Steel per year
- HYBRIT to be commissioned in 2025, 500 MW electrolysis
- Kuqa in China for Sinopec refinery, started production, 240 MW electrolysis (52x 5MW), 20,000 tonnes H2 a year, 210,000 standard cubic metres of storage capacity, 361 MW (?) solar power
See also list of DAC plants operating in 2022
- climeworks projects
- Carbon Engineering projects
- NETPower plant in La Porte, Texas, commissioned 2018, 50 MW thermal
- 300 MW Odessa plant, but no FID yet?
- Fervo project
- Eavor project in Geretsried, Germany, boring started 2023, 64 MW thermal, 8.2 MW electric, 4500 m deep
- Wendelstein 7-X
- Helion Energy (https://www.helionenergy.com/)
- Commonwealth Fusion Systems (https://cfs.energy/)
- recent Heidelberg cement announcement