I know of some good open source models to perform power system planning in the long term. But my question is, how far are the open source tools from the comercial ones?
From the top of my head some desired functionalities used in consultancy are:
- Generation dispatch / Unit commitment (not the same since the latter uses a MIP formulation)
- Transmission + Generation planning: Chose which assets to build on techno-economical basis.
- These 2 combined.
- Stochastic scenarios.
- Electrochemical storage management.
- Hydro power plant, and river system management.
- Multi-energy conversions (Gas, Water, Fuel, etc…)
- AC / HVDC lines.
- Power flow.
- N-1 (N-k ideally)
- Of course, all of the latter within the time domain (with variable time step length ideally)
- Graphical user interface.
- Data consistency checking.