Energy Share Exceeding 100% when I add heat pump in oemof Energy System Simulation

Hello everyone,

I am working on simulating and optimizing an energy system using oemof. My system includes various components such as a grid connection, PV panels, a battery storage system, a gas boiler, a CHP unit, and an air-source heat pump. I am encountering an issue where the calculated energy shares for some sources exceed 100%. This happens only when add heat pump to my energy system.

Here is a brief overview of my setup:

• Electricity sources: Grid, PV, Battery, CHP
  • Heat sources: Gas boiler, Buffer storage, CHP, Heat pump

I calculate the energy shares by summing the energy flows from each source to the respective demand (electricity or heat) and then dividing by the total demand.

Here is a snippet of my code for calculating the shares:

# Adding the relevant columns from the read data
data = pd.DataFrame({
‘demand_th’: heat_demand_data[‘demand_th’],
‘demand_el’: electricity_demand_data[‘demand_el’],
‘pv’: pv_data[‘electricity’]
})

#Calculate electricity demand for the heat pump
data[‘heat_pump_el_demand’] = data[‘demand_th’] / cop

# Update the electricity demand to include the heat pump demand
data[‘demand_el’] += data[‘heat_pump_el_demand’]

Total electricity demand
E_demand = electricity_bus[‘sequences’][(‘el_bus’, ‘E_demand’), ‘flow’].sum()

#Total electricity generation (including all sources)
E_generation = electricity_bus[‘sequences’][(‘grid’, ‘el_bus’), ‘flow’].sum() +
electricity_bus[‘sequences’][(‘pv’, ‘el_bus’), ‘flow’].sum() +
electricity_bus[‘sequences’][(‘battery’, ‘el_bus’), ‘flow’].sum() +
electricity_bus[‘sequences’][(‘CHP’, ‘el_bus’), ‘flow’].sum()

# Calculate shares
PV_share = (electricity_bus[‘sequences’][(‘pv’, ‘el_bus’), ‘flow’].sum()) / E_demand * 100
Excess = (electricity_bus[‘sequences’][(‘el_bus’, ‘excess_bel’), ‘flow’].sum()) / E_demand * 100
Grid_share = (electricity_bus[‘sequences’][(‘grid’, ‘el_bus’), ‘flow’].sum()) / E_demand * 100
Battery_share = (electricity_bus[‘sequences’][(‘battery’, ‘el_bus’), ‘flow’].sum()) / E_demand * 100
CHP_el_share = (electricity_bus[‘sequences’][(‘CHP’, ‘el_bus’), ‘flow’].sum()) / E_demand * 100
Einspeisung_share = (electricity_bus[‘sequences’][(‘el_bus’, ‘einspeisung’), ‘flow’].sum()) / E_demand * 100

Print shares
print(‘-----Electricity-----’)
print(f’Grid share = {Grid_share:.2f} %‘)
print(f’PV share = {PV_share:.2f} %’)
print(f’Battery share = {Battery_share:.2f} %‘)
print(f’CHP_el share = {CHP_el_share:.2f} %’)
print(f’Einspeisung share = {Einspeisung_share:.2f} %‘)
print(f’Excess share = {Excess:.2f} %’)
#####################################################################
#%Add Heat generations here
#####################################################################
print(‘-----Heat------’)
H_demand = (heat_bus[‘sequences’][(‘th_bus’, ‘H_demand’), ‘flow’].sum())
H_generation = heat_bus[‘sequences’][(‘gas_boiler’, ‘th_bus’), ‘flow’].sum() +
heat_bus[‘sequences’][(‘Buffer_storage’, ‘th_bus’), ‘flow’].sum() +
heat_bus[‘sequences’][(‘CHP’, ‘th_bus’), ‘flow’].sum() +
heat_bus[‘sequences’][(‘heat_pump’, ‘th_bus’), ‘flow’].sum()

######### print Heat shares here #########
Gas_share = (heat_bus[‘sequences’][(‘gas_boiler’, ‘th_bus’), ‘flow’].sum()) / H_demand * 100
Buffer_share = (heat_bus[‘sequences’][(‘Buffer_storage’, ‘th_bus’), ‘flow’].sum()) / H_demand * 100
CHP_th_share = (heat_bus[‘sequences’][(‘CHP’, ‘th_bus’), ‘flow’].sum()) / H_demand * 100
Air_Heat_Pump_share = (heat_bus[‘sequences’][(‘heat_pump’, ‘th_bus’), ‘flow’].sum()) / H_demand * 100

print(‘Gas share = ’ + str(round(Gas_share, 2)) + ’ %’)
print(‘Buffer share = ’ + str(round(Buffer_share, 2)) + ’ %’)
print(‘CHP_th share = ’ + str(round(CHP_th_share, 2)) + ’ %’)
print(‘Air Heat Pump share = ’ + str(round(Air_Heat_Pump_share, 2)) + ’ %’)

CHP_share = CHP_el_share + CHP_th_share
print(‘Total CHP share = ’ + str(round(CHP_share, 2)) + ’ %’)

Despite ensuring that my flows are not double-counted and my demand and supply are balanced, some energy shares exceed 100%.
Questions:

1. What might be causing the energy shares to exceed 100% in my calculations?
  2. How can I accurately calculate energy shares to ensure they correctly represent the portion of demand met by each source without exceeding 100%?
  3. Are there any common pitfalls or mistakes to watch out for when calculating energy shares in oemof?

I followed these steps to set up my energy system model in oemof:

Set up the energy system: Defined buses, sources, sinks, and converters including a grid connection, PV panels, a battery storage system, a gas boiler, a CHP unit, and an air-source heat pump.
Added time series data: Incorporated time series data for heat and electricity demand, as well as PV generation.
Updated electricity demand: Added the electricity demand for the heat pump to the total electricity demand.
Optimized the model: Used the solph.Model to optimize the system and calculate energy flows.
Calculated energy shares: Summed the energy flows from each source to the respective demand and divided by the total demand.

Despite ensuring that my flows are not double-counted and my demand and supply are balanced, some energy shares exceed 100%. Here are the printed results:

-----Electricity-----
Grid share = 103.88 %
PV share = 178.79 %
Battery share = 0.61 %
CHP_el share = 0.00 %
Einspeisung share = 115.6 %
Excess share = 0.00 %

-----Heat------
Gas share = 0.27 %
Buffer share = 12.94 %
CHP_th share = 0.0 %
Air Heat Pump share = 101.38 %
Total CHP share = 0.0 %

I expected the total shares for each demand type (electricity and heat) to be 100% or less.

Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Hello Shadow_simulator,

It seems to me that you should use data[‘demand_el’] instead of E_demand to compute your shares, as the former was updated to include the heat_pump demand.

Hope it helps!
Regards,
Pierre-Francois

1 Like

Thank you for your help, but the problem is in my formula, which considers the Heat pump electricity demand in my total demand. It is like the heat pump works permanently, which is not true.

@Shadow_simulator - could you provide a data snippet (maybe a week or two) so that I can try running your system? Or did you adapted the system from one of the existing oemof examples?