UPDATE: Sources gathered in Google Doc
In this do-a-thon we would:
- Collect data sources on current industrial demand, spatial distribution, energy use and emissions
- Collect strategies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in the industrial sector (e.g. hydrogen instead of coke reduction of iron ore, CCU/S, etc.)
- Collect existing studies/models on the industrial sector
- Collect data on Life Cycle Analysis (LCA) for energy system components and how they relate to the above data on industrial demand
I started a skeleton Wiki page:
I’d hope this would be fleshed out by the end of the do-a-thon.
To find out for each industry
- Are there multiple pathways for production (e.g. hydrogen versus coke reduction of iron ore)
- What temperatures are required for process heat
- Can current fossil fuel use be substituted by electricity / electrofuels / sustainable biomass / concentrated solar power (CSP) heat, and in what ratio
2018 German economics ministry (BMWi) study (ongoing)
2017 IEA study
Philibert, Cédric (2017). Renewable Energy for Industry: From green energy to green materials and fuels.
2015 European Commission DG Energy (ICF International) study
Chan, Y., & Kantamaneni, R. (2015). Study on Energy Efficiency and Energy Saving Potential in Industry from possible Policy Mechanisms (No. ENER/C3/2012-439/S12.666002). ICF Consulting Limited. Retrieved from https://ec.europa.eu/energy/en/studies/study-energy-efficiency-and-energy-saving-potential-industry-and-possible-policy-mechanisms
2015 German Umweltbundesamt study
Purr, Katja, Ulla Strenge, Kathrin Werner, Diana Nissler, Manuela Will, Guido Knoche, and Annette Volkens (editors) (January 2015). Germany in 2050: a greenhouse gas-neutral country. Dessau-Roßlau, Germany: Umweltbundesamt (UBA). ISSN 1862-4359.
Purr, Katja, Ulla Strenge, Manuela Will, Guido Knoche, and Annette Volkens (editors) (April 2014). Treibhausgasneutrales Deutschland im Jahr 2050 [Greenhouse gas-neutral Germany in 2050] (in German). Dessau-Roßlau, Germany: Umweltbundesamt (UBA). ISSN 1862-4359.
Werner, Kathrin, Diana Nissler, and Katja Purr (editors) (October 2013). Treibhausgasneutrales Deutschland im Jahr 2050 — Hintergrund [Greenhouse gas-neutral Germany in 2050 — Background] (in German). Dessau-Roßlau, Germany: Umweltbundesamt (UBA).
2010 UNIDO study
Taibi, Emanuele, Dolf Gielen and Morgan Bazilian Renewable Energy in Industrial Applications: An assessment of the 2050 potential, no date on study but PDF timestamped December 2010, not mirrored on UNIDO site anymore
2009 UN study
Price, Lynn K and Aimee T McKane (December 2009). Policies and measures to realise industrial energy efficiency and mitigate climate change. United Nations. Mark Howells co-lead the study.
Gielen, Dolf and Michael Taylor (1 July 2007). “Modelling industrial energy use: the IEAs Energy Technology Perspectives”. Energy Economics. 29 (4): 889–912. ISSN 0140-9883. doi:10.1016/j.eneco.2007.01.008.