Data on production sites in Germany

Hi energy modelling community!

I am currently working on a model for a chemical production site. It is very common, with different energy converters, different networks and production processes for the demand side. My goal is to do investment and dispatch planning with regards to cost and emission reduction. It is modelled in PyPSA.

Unfortunately, the companies I work with are very reluctant with the provision of data. Therefore, I cannot parameterize my model properly and my scenarios lack reference to reality, especially for the demand side of the production.
Moreover, my superordinate goal is to perform a study for the complete german industrial production infrastructure. For that it is necessary to evaluate energy related data of a significant portion of currently active german production sites.

Thats why I am referring to you:

• Do you know energy related data, parameterized models or publicly available scenarios for either specific production sites or Germany in general?

Thanks to everyone who can help me out!

To note that an analyst recently suggested to me that energy system models should expressly track carbon as a fully‑fledged commodity, on the same standing as electricity or fossil gas. For the same kind of reasons that @MiGeFr indicates.

I asked around and the following sources were suggested.

Publications

Sources

• German statistics office
  • Agora Industrie
  • Wuppertal Institut

Other

Search on:

• energy and carbon “intensive industries”

Note also this job posting from December 2021 at Freiburg University, Germany:

â–˘

Recent work at the TU Berlin involving PyPSA‑Eur and the TRACE global energy supply chain model might be of interest:

With the associated publications:

The second paper discusses the need to “coordinat[e] import strategies with infrastructure policy and reveal maneuvering space for incorporating non‑cost decision factors”.

The PyPSA‑Eur / TRACE project also offers archived data (but I did not look into the details). R

1 Like