1st Online Lightning Talk Mini-workshop, 26 March 2020

I would like to add a talk, but the message “Sorry, new users can only add 2 links in a post” pops up when I try to edit it.

Could you maybe add:
9. Anya Heider and Ricardo Reibsch, RLS Graduate School, Empirical research on flexibility options in open energy models. Introduction of survey on flexibility representation in different open energy models or frameworks.

Thank you in advance!

1 Like

Done!

@robbie.morrison: Since we’re screening new users anyway, can we drop all the restrictions for new users?

1 Like

If there is still some time left - I can update on Open Decarbonization and USENSYS - capacity expansion model for US.

Hi Oleg, thanks for suggestion! We’re currently overcapacity with 13 talks for the 10 slots - would you mind waiting for the next session? We might do this every 2 weeks, or every 4 weeks.

Hi Tom,
Sure, no problem - good idea to have them regularly!
This is actually two separate topics. If time will allow next time, i can do two short talks, otherwise will try to squeeze to one.

1 Like

Hey @tom_brown, really cool idea during corona times! Talks sound really interesting! Tomorrow, I won’t make, but surely to a follow session if this gonna happen.

Folks, enjoy the session tomorrow!

1 Like

All,
I’ll be showing a set of live demo jupyter notebook slides using Rise. My demo is a minor adaptation from some of the notebooks that are available in the SIIPExamples.jl repo.
Thanks,
Clayton

1 Like

Thanks to all the speakers for making this such a fun session!

A total of 178 people participated at some point, with a simultaneous peak of 145 participants. The average was around 120-30?

@tniet has already volunteered to host the next session in 3 weeks: 2nd Online Lightning Talk Mini-workshop

Feedback we collected from the audience (please edit since I didn’t catch everything - this post is wiki-editable):

• Consensus was that 6 minutes was about right for the talk length
  • Consensus was that 4 minutes was about right for the time for questions
  • I suggested having a fixed time of 6 minutes for the talk, and a flexible amount of time for the questions depending on how many questions there are (with a ceiling of 8 minutes?) - I can’t remember what the consensus here was
  • Consensus was that 13 talks was about the right number (but I feel it was a touch too many - 10 would have been about right - as host I was quite tired by the end)
  • Consensus was to do the next session in 3 weeks
  • On the question of whether a themed/curated selection of talks was better than the random first-come-first-served selection I think people were split? I didn’t record this properly, sorry…

Things I learned as a host:

• Moderate the speaker in and confirm that slides and sound are working before handing over to them
  • Thank the speaker at the end to give them a firm finish before handing to moderator for questions
  • The whole fussing about uploading slides, recordings and licencing of slides and recordings is quite a burden on the organiser - I would consider asking the speakers to host screencasts and slides themselves and link to them from the forum - this reduces the burden on the organiser and the speakers can do a perfect version of the talk and even make it longer and more detailed
  • I thought there wouldn’t be that must interest so directly emailed people asking them to speak - if you do this, do it sparingly because you might end up with too many talks :slight_smile:
1 Like

Hi All,

As Tom noted, I am happy to ‘host’ (moderate) the next workshop, but I’d also like to present, so having co-hosts would be very useful… Please reply indicating your interest in co-hosting.

Can we use the same @bmcm DCU zoom (I don’t have access to the enterprise version of zoom)?

I’m going to start a new topic for the next workshop, so please reply in the new topic.

Cheers,
Taco…

1 Like

Hi Taco -

Many thanks for stepping up. In principle, yes, we should be able to provide zoom hosting again: will depend on finalisation of date (and timezone!) but we can resolve in the topic for the new workshop…

Cheers - Barry.

We should correct the translation of UTC to individual time zones because of daylight savings starting this weekend.

1 Like

Hi @olugovoy - the 2nd iteration of the online workshops is live at 2nd Online Lightning Talk Mini-workshop - feel free to add your talks to the list. Depending on demand/interest I may curate, but we’ll see if that’s needed…

Workshop attendance

Edit: updated version below

Zoom forwards CSV files to the meeting host on completion. Here is a quick and dirty analysis — lacking sophisticated deduplication — of attendance:

• registrations : 179
  • participants : 168

Participation histogram:

duration

Technical notes: Participants deemed identical if the first 10 characters of their registration matches. Participant durations below 10 minutes deemed to be connection trials and not plotted. A broken connections would show here as two distinct participants. Participant durations above 180 minutes due to chatting after the meeting. Tools: bash, gnuplot.

2 Likes

Thanks @robbie.morrison! Can we also do a version with “unique people” on the y-axis to see how long in total people stayed, irrespective of multiple logins?

@tom_brown Sure. BTW, here is what quick‑and‑dirty looks like:

target="participants-341129483.csv"
cat $target | tail --lines=+5 | sort | uniq --check-chars=10 | wc --lines
cat $target | tail --lines=+5 | cut --delimiter=',' --fields=5 | sort --general-numeric-sort | tr '\n' ' ' | sed --expression 's/ [[:digit:]]\b//g' --expression 's/^0 //' && echo

Workshop attendance

Part 2

Edit: updated version below

@tom_brown Corrected plot with aggregate durations as requested. The envelope is now a little shorter and fatter with the following metrics:

• unique participants : 167
  • attended for 20 minutes or longer : 159

Participation bar graph:

openmod-miniworkshop-01-participation

Technical notes: Multiple sessions by the same participant are now aggregated. All sessions, including those less than one minute in duration, are plotted. Deduplication is based on email addresses rather than stated names because repeat attempts to attend sometimes resulted in truncated names being entered. Tools: python, pandas, matplotlib.

DAT and SVG files (no personal data): openmod-miniworkshop-01-participation.tgz (13.8 KB)

2 Likes

Great, thank you @robbie.morrison for this! Now I thought of another one: the number of attendees over time, so we can see when there was peak / nadir attendance. But I’ll take care of this myself :wink:.

Workshop attendance

Part 3

@tom_brown Next corrected plot with overlapping sessions now considered. Zoom allows more than one concurrent session (as I belatedly discovered) so this analysis processes the join and leave timestamps, not the individual session durations (as you can see, the meeting is now truncated at 217 minutes):

• unique participants : 167
  • attended for 20 minutes or longer : 159
  • cumulative non‑overlapping participation : 353 hours

Participation bar graph:

openmod-miniworkshop-01-participation

Technical notes: Multiple potentially overlapping sessions by the same participant are now aggregated using first join and last leave timestamps. All sessions, including those less than one minute in duration, are plotted. Deduplication is based on email addresses rather than stated names because repeat attempts to attend sometimes resulted in truncated names being entered. Tools: python, pandas, matplotlib.

DAT (no copyright), SVG (CC‑BY‑4.0 license), python3 (ISC license) files (no personal data):

2 Likes

@tom_brown did you post the videos from this workshop? I was looking for links, but can’t seem to find them.

Hi @claytonpbarrows It’s me doing the videos. The bottleneck was my six year old laptop which couldn’t cope with video editing but has now been replaced. Hopefully some YouTubes very shortly … Sorry. R