Developing a common ontology for energy system analysis

A recent wind energy ontology from Denmark:

Vasiljevic, Nikola (16 July 2020). DTU wind energy metadata and terminology — Presentation. Copenhagen, Denmark: Technical University of Denmark (DTU). doi:10.5281/zenodo.4033073. Date from PDF metadata. CC‑BY‑NC‑ND‑4.0 license.

Computer tech firm Microsoft are developing a digital twin ontology for energy grids (I’ve not had a chance to review much of this, sorry):

More here:

Related to smart buildings, smart cities, and energy grids, with the energy grid work somehow based on the IEC CIM model.

Smart entity descriptions

Here is a list of pre‑production entity descriptions (officially “data models”) written in DTDL (see previous posting). There are now 550 such descriptions, of which 400 lie within the energy domain. For instance, an electricity meter description:

While this URL offers an interface for locating the entities:

Now I am not suggesting that this work is useful for energy system analysis. But it is rather more indicative of work aimed at building smarter cities. However I regard the air gap between description and characterization as pretty small. Indeed these two concepts are tightly bound, so producing descriptions without (by my reading) much thought on characterizations would seem to represent only a very minimal first step.

Follow up: I was a bit quick to judge. The entity descriptions are indeed based on the open source CIMpy project from RWTH Aachen with modifications to meet the ETSI NGSI standard for context information exchange within smart cities and then reimplemented using DTDL. The CIM standard is widely used to exchange electricity system information within that sector.

Further information: this newly released position paper describes software architecture being developed to support smart systems:

Text and images licensed under CC BY 4.0Data licensed under CC0 1.0Code licensed under MITSite terms of serviceOpenmod mailing listOpenmod wiki.